Monday, June 12, 2006

coming soon . . .

A strange thing has been happening this week.

Three (totally!) unrelated people have told me that my prince charming is on his way. Just out of the blue.

Last Thursday I was sitting in my office at the tournament when the tab room director (a 33-year-old college forensics coach who just finally caught himself a wife last year) came in to visit. Actually, "visit" is too bland a word. He came in to interrogate.

The line of questioning was something like this: "How old are you?" "What do you do?" "You have a JD?" "How old are you?" "How tall are you?" "Do you have a boyfriend?"

And then the conclusion:

"Well, you're obviously scaring the men away."


This doomful proclamation was followed by the concession that I would catch one eventually, when some smart dude realizes the horror of my being "still single."

(Twenty-two going on 23 is faaaaaaaaaaar too young to be labelled "still single." [Can anybody give me an "amen"?] But whatever.)

Yesterday I was back at home sitting at the piano before church when my dear 90-something friend Uncle Rex walked up and said, "I just want to tell you that I've missed you and that you're a very attractive young girl and that someday your prince will come but you must choose wisely."

Okay.

About six hours later I was checking my e-mail and my roommate from my DC adventures last summer had written a happy-anniversary-of-our-adventures e-mail concluding, "About that boyfriend, have you caught one, Emily? If not don’t worry you’ll catch one."

I wasn't worried. Really.

But seeing as how all the prophesies were landing at the same time, the girls and I had a meeting late last night to get some important details out of the way.

dresses: navy blue
flowers: roses
processional: undecided
recessional: handbells
time of year: fall
time of day: evening
ring: solitaire (smaller is better)
gold: yellow

So, I'm glad to have all of that figured out. Now for the minor details.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen

Anonymous said...

I think 27 is the average age for marrying, but it's going up all the time. So I wouldn't stress, or take too seriously a subculture that thinks 23 is an age when one can be "still single," as opposed to just "single."

Anonymous said...

The sad thing is that this poor guy is probably out there somewhere worrying about how much time he has left to "enjoy his freedom."
On the other hand, he might be one of those guys who is always trying too hard to become something he's not.
Maybe life is easier than he thinks it is, and he should just ask the stupid question that's not really so stupid.
Wait, that's not really as easy as it sounds...
(Sorry, just thinking out loud. You should probably put some kind of restriction on this thing to stop random weird people from posting strange comment.)