Friday, October 20, 2006

the cosmic dance: food version

This afternoon I was working on NCFCA stuff and listening to a lecture on C.S. Lewis's "cosmic dance" and the expression of ultimate masculinity and femininity in Perelandra.

Bored and tired of staring at my computer screen, I went to do some stuff in the kitchen, where I began thinking about what we should eat for dinner.

My dad was in there getting something to eat, so I took the opportunity to lament the sad reality that people need to eat (i.e., be cooked for) every single day.

"Yeah, not only that -- but THREE times a day!" he agreed.

"It's terrible," quoth I.

"Terrible -- and wonderful," he replied. "When you've had a hard day at work . . ."

Here I almost interjected, "the LAST thing you want to do is come home and make dinner." But before I could, he finished,

"You really start to look forward to lunch. You know?"

I saw a connection between this and the Lewis lecture. Maybe not everyone will.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not hear the lecture but have read Pelandra. I think that is what Lewis was talking about in Pelandra when Ransom ate that fruit. Although our lunch does not satisfy us perfectly like the fruit on Pelanrdra but there is something enjoyable in eating after a hard days work. It is not the same when you eat just to eat not because you need to.

Anonymous said...

I don't know which lecture you're talking about, and I've not read Perelandra in a while,
but I've been reading academic journals all afternoon and I think your father is a very wise man. Brilliant, even.
Time to go get some food...

Emily said...

The lecture was on the interplay between the Masculine and the Feminine, and how Lewis portrayed that with Mars and Venus. So my talk with my dad hit me as a commentary on man's work v. woman's work. But you guys, not having heard the lecture, wouldn't have known that.

Anyhow, it just so happens that your manly comments fit right in with what I was thinking. :) So I'm guessing that that way-to-a-man's-heart-is-through-his-stomach thing is right on, even in the 21st century?

Anonymous said...

Haven't we already established that?

The real question is, what's the way to a woman's heart? Flowers? (Does that mean eyes and nose? The mucous membranes, like OC spray?)

Emily said...

Sorry, was that one we covered on the bus from Salisbury? All I remember about that part of the conversation was you saying that the fact that a girl could cook/bake wasn't a dealbreaker, and that homemade cookies weren't necessarily more impressive than tasty storebought cookies (a sore disappointment). Maybe I remember wrongly.

The way to a woman's heart is much much much more complicated than the stomach thing. I think. And it ideally has something to do with being found approved by parents, whom I believe are generally more selective than taste buds.

Anonymous said...

I think the conversation was grocery-laden and involved "the hill." That might have something to do with my fuzzy memory.
Just because cooking/baking isn't the be-all and end-all of spousal qualification doesn't mean that it's unimportant. You only have so many ways into a man's heart, and he's only using it for a smallish part of the day, so heart-centred strategy becomes very important when you're making the opening moves; The other parts of a man can be targeted later.