Monday, November 12, 2007

old haunt

Today I spent about an hour at my old law office, talking with my boss and Roger and Mike, catching up a little bit and seeing some of their remodel/expansion. I can still remember the first day I met those three -- all on the same day -- just about five-and-a-half years ago exactly.

It's funny how much the office still feels like home. It felt weird not to pick up the ringing phone, or to not be able to come to Jeff's aid when he couldn't find the client intake sheet (a common occurrence).

And it's nice to just be known. To walk into a place and not have to explain why you're there, to have a conversation where everybody knows everybody's history with orthodontia, tastes in literature, and favorite places to pick up lunch.

Co-workers get to know each other pretty well. I kind of miss mine.

No comments: