Thursday, January 10, 2008

timely

I rarely go to Carolyn McCulley's web site (formerly Solo Femininity, now Radical Womanhood), but I ended up there right before I left for church tonight, and found a good thing. And then I reloaded the page when I got home, and found another good thing.

Good thing one. The first good thing wasn't actually the post (although it's a very good post!), but the Washington Post article it linked to. The whole article's interesting, but the parts that Carolyn quotes about decisions made making us happier than indecisiveness really hit the spot. Indecisiveness is a weakness of mine which I think I find easy to cloak in a vague aura of "waiting to find out God's best" or "seeking His specific will for me." All year I've been learning in a hundred different ways that most of the Christian walk is doing the next thing, and seeking to make wise decisions in the large and small. Most of the time there's not a magical moment of revelation that sets out a detailed game plan for Next.

Good thing two. The second good thing was some ideas from A.W. Tozer's The Pursuit of God, The Pursuit of Man. Carolyn posted Tozer's "Rules for Self-Discovery" from the book, an encouragement to take inventory by asking
1. What we want most

2. What we think about most

3. How we use our money

4. What we do with our leisure time

5. The company we enjoy

6. Who and what we admire

7. What we laugh at
A tough list, eh?

No comments: