Thursday, September 25, 2008

gender discrimination

My health insurance company just sent me an innocuous-looking piece of junk mail that asks "What's in your future? Travel? A career change? A new home?"

So far, so good.

Next sentence:

"When the future looks bright, the possibilities are endless."

[Here I notice that there is a large picture of a smiling pregnant woman drinking a glass of water.]

Next sentence:

"If a baby could be in your future, call the Future Moms program as soon as you are pregnant, so we can help you take care of yourself and your new addition."

And that's what the whole rest of the pamphlet is about.

Stinking heartless Blue Cross.

2 comments:

fearnot4110 said...

Hey! One of the women I know in my dorm got that same exact pamphlet yesterday! And she isn't pregnant, either. Weird...

danay said...

What I'd like to know is why my 22-year-old cousin keeps getting mail from AARP. Are they using the same advertising agency or what?