Monday, November 10, 2008

first home appliance

Something bad happened to our crock-pot on Easter Sunday. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I remember my dad and me yelling at each other after my grandma went to bed about glass shards in the baked beans.

We've scraped along crock-pot-less for the past six months, but this weekend I could stand it no longer. So I went out and bought a crock-pot, a big crock-pot named Ernest. Ernest could cook a whole chicken (if he wanted to, but I don't think he does).

This morning I went to put Ernest away in his new home in the cabinet. I was planning to throw away the remains of the old crock-pot (which had been saved for reasons I did not remember, but which I figured had been erased from my memory (1) because I didn't get very much sleep Easter weekend and (2) because it really was an unpleasant yelling match about glass shards).

Ernest went in and the old crock-pot came out. And, except for missing a lid, it seemed to be in entirely good condition. So I did what I should've done six months ago and went online and found a replacement lid for $5.95.

Why is it things don't usually make so much sense until after you've made an unnecessary expenditure???

In the alternative, is there any practical reason to run two crock-pots at the same time???

2 comments:

danay said...

Ernest made a really tasty lentil soup. I suppose you could make lentil soup and apple cider simultaneously with two crock pots... or A LOT of lentil soup. I'm sure that was very helpful.

Jack said...

++ on cider&[food]

Also, you could have saved even more money if you found the lid at a thrift store... (though you might have found second-hand books, in which case it would be false economy.)