Friday, January 16, 2009

not coming to a Sunday morning near you

A few weeks ago I was thinking about the worship potential of Christian songs not directed to or directly about God (Andrew Peterson's "Hosea" is one example). I think that the way Scripture is built leaves us with no alternative but that we are story people who come to know the character of God partly through story. There are times for Psalmy songs, and then there are times for narrative songs.

Anyway, at some point in this thought process, I was thinking about Scriptural scenes that would not make good songs, and I thought "Alexander the coppersmith did me much harm."

And ever since then, at fairly regular intervals, a singing voice in my head will say "Alexander the coppersmith did me much harm." Kind of like I have an internal 4-year-old. It's getting annoying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha--that's awesome! The Evangelical Lutheran Worship hymnal would classify that under hymns of justice, I believe...

And I totally agree with you that we are story people. That's why I like high church liturgy so much...it's very much about story.