Sunday, July 26, 2009

writing life

This week I'm going to try to post something every day. Too many memories are slipping through the cracks, and I can feel the time growing short . . .

I'm also procrastinating on my homework.

Today's topic is Jordanian landscaping. Rather (to allow for regional differences, since I have heard that there are places with trees -- some of which I've seen, but it's been so long now that I'm starting to forget . . .), today's topic is landscaping in Amman.

Aside from the King's park downtown, and the American School (which has the most AMAZING landscaping, even by U.S. standards; it also feels like a huge waste in the greater context of this city), there is not much here to landscape.

But, every so often, you will notice some landscaping going on. The chief way of noticing landscaping is the smell. The pungent smell of burning dried-out brush wafting through the air.

We had our first brush with the landscaper on my birthday. We were all out on the patio, enjoying the cool evening, when a passing man asked Amber for a lighter. Lighter granted, the man proceeded to light the two patches of weeds in front of the apartment building. We haven't noticed him back, but every once in a while you can observe that the weeds have been recently . . . er . . . tended.

There are also frequently small brush-fire looking things on the side of the road on the way to school. Ah, landscaping. Oh, and this landscaping has the double benefit of also eliminating trash. Genius.

I miss trees. And grass. I'm glad there are trees in heaven.

1 comment:

C.Bui :) said...

I know what you mean! I try to blog a lot too, but it never happens and how you put it "memories just slip through the cracks" is perfect. But I guess we can always hang on to those memories in our heads. ahah :) thanks for bloggin! I enjoyed it!