Thursday, April 28, 2011

sangre vasca

This week in our rebels class (it really is a class about rebels, Spanish rebels, specifically) we read El hombre solo and watched a documentary on "the Basque problem"---the Basque nationalist movement and its stormy relationship with ETA and terrorism.

The documentary included clips from this earlier documentary on the Basque country by Orson Welles:



My grandfather's grandmother was Basque.

So, yesterday, I was trying really hard to see if I could feel Basque at all. Not a whole lot---just a little---but at least one sixteenth.

I couldn't.

I wouldn't even know where to start.

It's a bummer, because Basques have such a unique genetic and linguistic history, that I really would like to feel at least a little Basque.

Maybe one day I can go to el pais vasco and find my lost genetic legacy. Maybe...

No comments: