Friday, April 15, 2011

wisdom and the wait

I'm starting to learn that wisdom is not just knowing what to do (and why), but knowing when and how to do it.

God's wisdom is deep and rich and good and perfect in each of these things. (Tangent: I think that the idea of "good" and "perfect" gifts from James 1 probably ties in with this idea of completeness and timeliness, too...)

For the past few months I've been praying intently about some things, and waiting for God to answer. I've feared getting answers I don't like. I've feared silence. And I've even kind of feared seeing things resolve to my own "ideal." All in all, I've been wrapped up in me.

But a crazy thing has been happening.

He has been answering---just the requests He's been answering are things I gave up praying for months or years ago. Things I never thought would be solved or resolved. Things I didn't think could get any better. He's providing for needs I had and didn't even realize. More than that, He's giving me good, good gifts that I would never have thought to request.

My time frame is not His. And His answers do not result from my expertise in asking, but from His goodness and grace to supply. When they come, they display His glory and knock my fears and self-absorption out of the water. What I see only dimly, looking out at the future, He has already written from beginning to end.

My mind is on Isaiah 25 tonight. I am grateful for a gracious Father Who is not limited by the time that seems to weigh on me so heavily.

How desperately I need His grace to wait for the wine to age and the story to unfold.
He will swallow up death forever;
and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from all faces,
and the reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth,
for the LORD has spoken.
It will be said on that day,
"Behold, this is our God; we have waited for him, that he might save us.
This is the LORD; we have waited for him;
let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation."
--Isaiah 25:8-9

No comments: