Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gospel, school, disillusionment, and the floor

Close to the beginning of the year, I started to think about the contrast between the vortex of postmodernism/deconstructionism (where one can keep on deconstructing infinitely, as far as I know), and the "floor" of absolute truthspecifically the truth of the Gospel.

Well, in class yesterday I learned that there is a whole branch of theory where scholars/philosophers/whatever-they-are argue about whether there's a floor or not.

I find this simultaneously encouraging and discouraging. Encouraging, because I'm glad to know that the question is being examined (and also kinda gratified that I picked up on the term "floor" before I knew it was the term other people were using...stupid academic pride). Discouraging because it means that there's more stuff out there for me to read.

But (and here's the Lewis in me), I do have to wonder why are we all looking for the floor? Why did Jorge Luis Borges say, in "The Library of Babel"
Let heaven exist, though my own place may be in hell. Let me be tortured and battered and annihilated, but let there be one instant, one creature, wherein thy enormous Library may find its justification.
I want that. Other people I know want that. Apparently other people I don't know want that, too.

What makes us want that?

No comments: