Saturday, April 08, 2006

night unto night reveals knowledge

Barren and silent,
You witness all that passes
On this fruitful spinning orb,
Bearing still silently
Witness to the Hand
That hung the stars
And spun the orbs in motion.

On Monday, March 13, walking across the campus parking lot with "my" guitar (I always feel cool carrying the guitar; it only lasts until I start to play it), I gained new appreciation for the word "breathtaking."

Hanging low and LARGE in a twilight sky was the almost-but-not-quite-full-yet moon.

It was so beautiful -- at once comfortably familiar and eerily other-worldly.

If I were a painter, I would've tried to paint it. Or a composer, I would've cursed Beethoven for writing the Moonlight Sonata before I could get around to it.

But as I'm a lawyer, I started to argue. (Yes, with myself.)

Me1: [gasp] I could stare at this forever.
Me2: Yes, it is beautiful. How awesome God is to bless us with such beauty.
Me1: You know, how can heaven be heaven without the moon? That's really unfair that the moon can't stick around forever. Isn't it stingy of God to tease us with something like this and then take it away?
Me2: Obviously, he has something better. So much better. This isn't even the real thing.

The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light. And the nations of those who are saved shall walk in its light, and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honor into it.
--Revelation 21:23-24

No comments: