Tuesday, June 13, 2006

a better country

No. 6 has been asking about Heaven lately.

Today she was hanging out in my room while I was cleaning (If I have to pack and unpack that suitcase one more time I am going to scream[!]) and we were talking about going to the airport and the places you can go from the airport.


She suggested that instead of all the other places I'm planning to go, I should go to Heaven. We ended up talking about Heaven, sickness, death, the houses Jesus has built for us, and getting new bodies.

I told her that if I moved there I wouldn't be able to live on earth anymore. To my surprise, she considered that pretty insignificant. You could almost hear her thinking, "Sheesh, you just said we'd live there in houses Jesus built for us in new bodies with nobody hurting or sick. What would you want to live here for?"

Then, the inevitable question: what are we living here for?

No. 6 was happy with my explanation: "To tell other people how they can love Jesus and go to Heaven."

So there's the 3-year-old version. The best I can figure in a grown up version is an expansion of Piper's catechismic revision -- to glorify God by enjoying Him forever, and take along as many people as we can.

Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many mansions. If it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. -- John 14:1-2

No comments: