Wednesday, September 27, 2006

not poetic enough

Lately a lot of creation-based praise music has become popular -- things like Chris Tomlin's "Indescribable" or "Wonderful Maker."

Today I was reflecting on this while listening to Christian radio and driving down PCH (had to go out today and scout fire pits for the OBCLAA after-meeting social; hard work, I know).

Today I've also been reflecting on how much I like peanuts and peanut butter.

It occurred to me somewhere along the way that some wonders of creation, no matter how much they mean to us or how much we give thanks for them in our daily lives, just wouldn't make it in song.

For centuries over, the sun, moon, stars, mountains, and oceans have beat out the peanuts and peaches every time.

So here I sit. I should be studying. Instead I'm thinking about a way to write hymn lyrics that could be serious and include peanuts.

It's not working.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some wonders are most wonderful in moments of routine humility.

Keep up the good fight! You'll find a way to express the rapture of unremarkable distinction, sooner or later.