Tuesday, December 05, 2006

notes from my [favorite] job

It's cold.

My fingers are cold.

The sanctuary is cold, especially the draft that comes through the crack in the door.

And the time it takes to drive to church is exactly the right amount of time for the car to get to exactly the perfect measure of warmness.

Happily, today Mrs. Bea and I found that the fan-looking thing in 101 is actually a heater. Bliss!

The sad news: no deacons ran into choir rehearsal distraught from trying to iron the tablecloths for the deacons-widows dinner with a too-short electrical cord like they did last year. It was one of the only times in my life (ever) that I have tasted the triumph that must be part of No. 2's talent for all-around preparedness. I actually had an extension cord in my car.

It may be odd, but when I reflect on the happiest moments of 2005, one of them would definitely be that December night, standing out in the church parking lot with an assortment of deacons and wives saying nice things about my extension cord.

I guess it's just one of the many happy moments in life that only happens once.

Still, if you ever need an extension cord . . .

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, (<-- there is proof that you can take the girl out of California, but...) you haven't felt cold until you have to scrape ice off your car's windshield every morning.

Funny that we posted the same subject on the same day...

Emily said...

You are right. I was afraid when I posted that that someone from a truly cold place would come and make a distressing comparison.

Speaking of cars and ice, here's a video clip the depth of which we southern Californians can probably never grasp: http://theologica.blogspot.com/2006/12/bad-morning.html.

jamesdeancat said...

Try sticking your hand in a bucket of ice to fish out pegs. Ice on the windshield? Tip water on it.

Have you guys got frost yet?

Anonymous said...

We've had frost several times. I only ventured out once to see if the grass cracked under my feet when I walked on it (it didn't), but I didn't think the neighbor would understand if she saw me jumping up and down in the back yard, so I didn't stay outside very long.

It was too cold out there anyways. ;)

jamesdeancat said...

Thats sad. I think the only things I love about really really really cold mornings is frozen grass and the noise it makes when you step on it.

Emily said...

Grass freezes?

Anonymous said...

haha so this is Brittany. I finally came to your blog and it made me laugh... mainly because a few weeks ago when we had our coffee presentation our projector was to short but no worries you had an extention cord... your extention cord in your car seems to come in handy... maybe we should all take note.

Anonymous said...

ha ha...it hadn't occurred to me to make a plea for the true meaning of cold (being from a colder place) on my first read through of your blog entry, but after reading the comments...check out this link to my facebook album. This chill in California equals temperatures in the teens and 10 inches of snow in Michigan :)
http://cornerstone.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2006762&id=152000078

jamesdeancat said...

Maybe the ice around it freezes? I'm not sure anymore. But my fav part of waiting for the bus every morning in the freezing cold was stomping all the grass. To hear that cracking noise it makes! Also picking up sheets of ice out of puddles!

Anonymous said...

To add to Aura's comment: I think it's the dew on the grass that freezes.

Oh, by the way, I have a new record low temperature since we came to Kentucky - it was 13 deg F when I checked the thermometer at 8:00 EST.