Friday, January 19, 2007

important life skill

This morning I have been practicing an important life skill. I haven't come up with a title for it yet, so I'll explain it with examples.

Here at our house we have several residents with long hair. Said abundance of hair often results in a clogged shower drain.

In my years as an adult resident of the house, I have experimented with several methods of unclogging the drain. Here they are, with corresponding ratings of efficacy:

#1 The You-Figure-It-Out Approach
This approach consists of casually mentioning to my dad that the shower drain is clogged again. It may elicit such responses as "bummer."
EFFICACY RATING: not effective

#2 The Nagging Approach
Fundamental to this approach is a whiny voice and a bad attitude. It may elicit ignoring.
EFFICACY RATING: really not effective

#3 The Asking Approach
Up until today, this has been the most effective method. It consists of politely asking for help (variations on this include the Buttering Up Method of Flattery and the Damsel in Distress Method of Dramatic Need). It usually elicits assent to help, with an uncertain time frame.
EFFICACY RATING: effective

#4 The "I Love Lucy" Approach
I had previously tried the approach with tasks like moving large pieces of furniture and replacing light bulbs, but have been delighted with its efficacy in the field of plumbing. The key to this approach is to resolve to solve the problem one's self. When an impasse is reached, call the man of the house (preferably during business hours) and ask something roughly like, "Daddy, where do you keep the plumbing snake?" If greeted with expressions of incredulity, respond with self-assurance. Maybe, "Oh, no, I read all about it on 'This Old House' online. I know just what to do."

Bonus points for any unusual objects you have stuck in the drain before making the telephone call (including, but not limited to, shishkabob skewers, screwdrivers, and coathangers).
EFFICACY RATING: highly effective!

4 comments:

Jack said...

My friend tells me that the same approach can sometimes work quite well for husbands who are hungry.

("Honey, if I use a tablespoon of baking powder instead of a teaspoon, will my sugar cookies still rise?
...
Of course I know what I'm doing, it's my mother's recipe!")

Anonymous said...

Have you considered holding a hair-washing fellowship in your backyard out in the sunny, warm Californian weather?

Warm...mmm...

Anonymous said...

Haha...my family always made ME clean out the drain as I was the only one who clogged it up.

Emily said...

Mmmm. Now I know to call you if I want to find all-girl plumbing solutions. :)

That would be funny for the neighbors if we all went out and washed our hair in the back yard. LOL